Connect with us

News in Turkey

Turkey starts offensive against Kurdish militias in northern Syria

Published

on

Erdogan announced on Wednesday the start of the offensive against Kurdish militias in northeastern Syria, which aims to eradicate the “terrorist threat,” an action rejected by the Government of Damascus, because it violates its sovereignty.

The president said that the Turkish armed forces began the operation “Source of Peace” in northern Syria to prevent “the creation of a terrorist corridor along our southern border, and bring peace to the area.”

For its part, the UN Security Council will hold an emergency meeting closed Thursday to address the military situation in Turkey, diplomatic sources said.

The meeting, claimed by the European members of the Council (Belgium, France, Germany, Poland and the United Kingdom), will take place after another meeting, also behind closed doors, on Colombia, according to the same sources.

On the other hand, the Syrian Foreign Ministry strongly condemned the hostile intentions shown by the Turkish government and the concentration of troops on the border, as they constitute a flagrant violation of international law and United Nations resolutions, which defend unity, integrity and sovereignty of the Arab country.

He said the aggressive behavior of President Erdogan’s regime clearly shows Turkish expansionist ambitions in Syrian territory and cannot be justified under any pretext, according to the Syrian news agency SANA.

The Syrian Foreign Ministry held some Kurdish organizations responsible for the situation because of their subordination to the United States, referring to Syrian Kurdish militias, backed by Washington.

According to Turkish television reports, planes had bombed Kurdish positions in Syria across the border with Turkey.

“Turkish aviation launches heavy bombardment against the city of Ras al Ein, in the northwest of Al Hasaka province, there are also artillery attacks,” Syrian state television reported.

“The Turkish attack has also reached the town of Ayen Issa in the northern Raqqa camp,” said the Syrian agency SANA.

In this operation against the PKK / YPG (Kurdistan Workers Party / Popular Protection Units) and the terrorists of the Islamic State participate members of the Syrian National Army, a group that is an ally of the Government of Ankara.

For its part, Syria had previously condemned in the strongest terms the aggressive intentions of the Turkish regime and the concentration of its military on the Syrian border.

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg called on Turkey, a member of the Alliance, on Wednesday to “moderation” in his operation launched in northern Syria as it does not jeopardize the fight that the agency undertook against the jihadists.

The offensive, which launched Turkey in northeastern Syria, will aggravate the crisis in the Arab country and cause a new wave of refugees, said Huseín Amir Abdolahian, an advisor to the president of the Iranian Parliament.

“The Turkish operation in Syria further complicates the situation,” he wrote on his Twitter account.

Nuray Buldan

An accomplished writer and debator, Nuray has a great passion for reporting news around Turkey. She is extremely well-versed in politics and especially the main issues today revolving around Erdoğan and the Syrian Turkish conflict. Beyond formal writing and reporting, Nuray also enjoys poetry and novels in both English and Turkish.

(+90) 242 3748859
[email protected]
Nuray Buldan
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News in Turkey

Turkey threatens a new military offensive on the Syrian border

Published

on

Turkish President Erdogan threatened on Saturday to resume the military offensive in the border with northern Syria if the Syrian Democratic Forces do not meet the terms of the “security zone” agreed on Tuesday between Turkey and Russia.

“If the terrorists do not withdraw at the end of 150 hours – from 09:00 GMT on October 23 – we will take control and expel them,” Erdogan said in a televised speech, referring to the Kurdish militias of the Popular Protection Units, who lead the SDS.

The Turkish president promised to clean “the border zone of YPG terrorists if Russia does not fulfill its obligations under the Sochi Agreement,” a pact that stipulates that the Russian Military Police and the Syrian border guard enter the Syrian side of the border, outside the zone of Operation Manantial de Paz, to facilitate the withdrawal of the elements of the YPG and their weapons in an area of ​​30 kilometers.

After concluding that the first moment that expires on Tuesday at 3:00 p.m. GMT, the deal provides for joint patrols between Moscow and Ankara to begin east and west of the Peace Spring area, with a depth of ten kilometers, except for Qamishli.

Also, Moscow and Ankara agreed to create an agency to verify the application of the memorandum, work “to achieve a political solution” to the conflict in Syria and support the work of the constitutional committee.

However, the SDS commander, Mazlum Kobani, announced Friday that the group “has not accepted” the entire agreement of Turkey and Russia, because after the consultation and they have “reservations” regarding the content.

Erdogan, whose intention is to relocate the approximately 3.6 million refugees from that country in Turkey to a security zone in northern Syria, said he hoped the world would respect Turkish security concerns and support his project.

In this regard, he threatened the European Union, ensuring that “if the projects we have developed for the return of Syrian refugees to their country do not receive support, we will have no choice but to open our borders.”

Turkey maintains control in another region of the northeast, 120 km long, where it has its army deployed after conquering it with an offensive launched on October 9 against the YPG, which they consider a terrorist group.

On the other hand, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a telephone conversation that took place on Saturday discussed the situation in Syria, the Russian Foreign Ministry said.

“On October 26, at the initiative of the United States, a telephone conversation took place between Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo; the situation in Syria was discussed,” the statement said.

It is noted that “Russia underlined the need to refrain from adopting measures that undermine the sovereignty and territorial integrity of this country.”

The entity added that during the telephone conversation some issues of bilateral relations were discussed.

On Tuesday, Russia and Turkey agreed to send units of the Russian military police and Syrian soldiers to the Turkish-Syrian border from October 23 to facilitate the transfer of Kurdish factions about 30 kilometers from the border line.

The withdrawal of Kurdish militias must be completed within 150 hours after noon on October 23.

Nuray Buldan

An accomplished writer and debator, Nuray has a great passion for reporting news around Turkey. She is extremely well-versed in politics and especially the main issues today revolving around Erdoğan and the Syrian Turkish conflict. Beyond formal writing and reporting, Nuray also enjoys poetry and novels in both English and Turkish.

(+90) 242 3748859
[email protected]
Nuray Buldan
Continue Reading

News in Turkey

Turkey announces temporary suspension of offensive in Syria

Published

on

Kurdish forces must complete their withdrawal from Syrian soil within 150 hours from noon on October 23 this year, according to statements by the Government of Turkey.

The head of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkey, Mevlut Cavusoglu, announced on Wednesday October 23 that the armed operation in Syria has been temporarily suspended but that the offensive has not yet been terminated.

“We have suspended the operation at the moment, but this does not mean that the offensive is over,” said the Turkish minister.

He also explained that this ceasefire determination comes after the talks held by the Government of Turkey with the administration of the United States (USA), in which Washington ceased fire.

“We have received the guarantee that the US has given us, so we have stopped the operation in this way at this time, but that does not mean we get out of here, we maintain our presence,” he said.

However, Minister Cavusoglu said that the fight against terrorist groups operating in Syrian territory has not ceased, which will remain after his capture, despite the announcement of peace.

“National security is vital for our nation, and we are clearing our borders of terrorists,” he said.

This ceasefire agreement has been organized between Russia, Syria and Turkey in a strategy that provides for the presence of the Russian military police and the Syrian border guard to protect the Turkish-Syrian border area.

With this announcement, it is also expected that the Democratic Forces of Syria (SDS) will withdraw permanently from the north of the Persian nation, as they have been doing in the past few days.

The Turkish Armed Forces began bombing and attacks on the northern part of Syria on October 9, after the United States. announce the withdrawal of its armed troops from this Syrian region.

Nuray Buldan

An accomplished writer and debator, Nuray has a great passion for reporting news around Turkey. She is extremely well-versed in politics and especially the main issues today revolving around Erdoğan and the Syrian Turkish conflict. Beyond formal writing and reporting, Nuray also enjoys poetry and novels in both English and Turkish.

(+90) 242 3748859
[email protected]
Nuray Buldan
Continue Reading

News in Turkey

Kurds begin withdrawal in compliance with truce with Turkey

Published

on

The main alliance of Kurdish- led militias confirmed on Sunday its complete withdrawal from the Syrian border town of Ras al Ain, as stipulated by the truce agreed with Turkey.

“Within the framework of the temporary ceasefire of military operations with the Turkish side and through US mediation, the city of Ras al Ain was completely evacuated today by the combatants of the Forces of Democratic Syria. There is no longer any combatant within the city,” said Kino Gabriel, a spokesman for the FSD, on his Twitter account.

The FSD has not offered more details about the withdrawal process, however local media describe that the combatants left in dozens of military vehicles. In addition, a medical convoy arrived in the morning to evacuate the injured and transport the bodies of the fatalities.

The evacuation is a boost to the unstable ceasefire since it began Thursday night. Clashes have arisen daily, with occasional artillery firing, especially around Ras al-Ayn, a border town where Kurdish fighters have been surrounded by Turkish-led forces.

Minutes before the statement, local media reported the bombing of the city of Til Rifat in Shehba and the villages of Minix and Shewarxe in the Afrin district in Shera by the Turkish army and mercenaries.

This day is the third after the 120-hour ceasefire agreed between Turkey and the Syrian Kurdish militias.

The Turks began an offensive in northern Syria on October 9 under the pretext of removing Kurdish militias from the Turkish border and establishing a safe area in the northeast of the country to settle thousands of Syrian refugees who remain in Turkish territory, to despite the protest of the Government of Damascus.

Also, authorities in the northeast region of Syria have denounced the use of prohibited weapons by the Turkish army in their attacks against the civilian population.

Foza Yûsif, a member of the Executive Council of the Democratic Society Movement (TEV-DEM), said there were strong indications that the Turkish state used prohibited weapons in northern Syria and requested the inspection of an independent delegation.

Under the name Fuente de Paz, the operation faces Kurdish formations including the SDS, the militias of the Democratic Union Party (PYD) and the Popular Protection Units (YPG) that dominate the Syrian northeast and to which Turkey links with the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), which he considers a terrorist.

For its part, the Syrian Government denounced that the Turkish offensive violates territorial integrity and international law. Syria reached an agreement with the Kurdish-Syrians to confront the Turkish offensive even though it does not recognize Kurdish autonomy east of the Euphrates River, nor its armed arm the SDS.

Nuray Buldan

An accomplished writer and debator, Nuray has a great passion for reporting news around Turkey. She is extremely well-versed in politics and especially the main issues today revolving around Erdoğan and the Syrian Turkish conflict. Beyond formal writing and reporting, Nuray also enjoys poetry and novels in both English and Turkish.

(+90) 242 3748859
[email protected]
Nuray Buldan
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Celaloz Turk | Created with the assistance of Coding Elite.