Connect with us

News in Turkey

Women march against femicide in Turkey

Published

on

Before the increase in violence against women in Turkey, dozens of women protested this Saturday denouncing the seriousness of the situation and calling on the Government to take action to curb femicide.

“We will be on the streets to protect women’s rights until no more women are killed,” said one of the participants in the mobilization, Bircan Sahin.

“Stop the murders of women!”, “Stop the macho violence!” and “Don’t look at the violence, do something” were some of the slogans chanted by the protesters, who carried posters with names and numbers, representing the victims.

At the event, held in the Asian part of the city, they told shocking stories of women victims of femicides recently throughout the country. Among the cases he highlighted that of Emine Bulut, whose death at the hands of his ex-husband, last August, caused great commotion in Turkey.

“The murder of Emine Bulut caused frustration and resentment in society. Her last words continue to ring in the ears of all women: I do not want to die,” said one of the organizers, Gamze Ozturk, referring to the label (“#olmekistemiyorum”) that became a trend on Twitter.

In the first eight months of 2019, 294 women were killed in Turkey and, in August alone, at least 40 lost their lives. Last year, they were victims of 440 homicides, according to the women’s rights advocacy group We Will Stop Femicide, which recounts the gender-motivated killings.

The alarming figure was commemorated by the artist Vahit Tuna, who set up an installation on the facade of a building in Istanbul, where he exhibited 440 pairs of shoes with heels, demonstrating against the acts of domestic and sexual violence left by hundreds of female victims in Turkey.

The work of art covers an area of ​​260 square meters, takes up the Turkish tradition of placing the shoes of someone who died outside an entrance.

Although Turkey ratified the Istanbul Convention of the Council of Europe of 2011 to prevent sexist violence, activists say there is still much to be done to enforce the laws.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News in Turkey

Libyan Government reopens its Embassy in Syria

Published

on

The reopening of the diplomatic headquarters is taking place after 8 years of being closed due to the Syrian conflict.

With the presence of the Libyan Deputy Prime Minister, Abdul Rahman Al-Ahirish, the Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Abdul Hadi Al-Hawaij, and the Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister, Faisal Mekdad, the Libyan diplomatic headquarters in Damascus, Syria, was reopened.

The reopening of the embassy is a sign of support from the Libyan Government in Tobruk for the management and leadership of Bachar al-Ásad at the head of Syria.

Both countries agreed to have among the priorities of their diplomatic relations, mutual cooperation in facing common problems.

Libya is facing a crisis derived from the internal confrontations that followed the aggression against the country led by the United States in 2011, which led to the overthrow of that nation’s historic leader, Muammar al-Qadhafi.

Currently, the country operates with a duality of powers, expressed in the so-called interim government, based in Tobruk (east of the country) together with the Parliament, and the appointed Government of National Unity, based in Tripoli (northwest of Libya).

Both entities have found international support, that of Tobruk by several countries from different continents and that of Tripoli by international organizations such as the UN.

Recently, the government of Tripoli signed military cooperation agreements with Turkey, an action that the Tobruk executive has denounced as illegal, because it was not ratified by Parliament, which unleashed an escalation in tensions in the country.

For their part, Syrian and Turkish troops have been fighting in recent days, in the context of the conflict in Syria. Russia is working with both governments to find a negotiated solution to the difficulties.

Continue Reading

News in Turkey

Chancellor of Russia and Turkey meet in Munich

Published

on

Lavrov said that Moscow and Ankara are conducting negotiations with the aim of fulfilling agreements on Idlib, Syria, for the normalization of the situation in that Arab country, while Cavusoglu described the meeting with the Russian foreign minister as “positive”.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and his Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu met Saturday on the sidelines of the Security Conference in Munich, Germany.

Lavrov said that Moscow and Ankara are conducting negotiations with the aim of fulfilling the agreements on Idlib, Syria, for the normalization of the situation in that Arab country, while Cavusoglu described the meeting with the Russian chancellor as “positive”.

“Contacts between Russia and Turkey at the level of experts, diplomats, military, security services are aimed at finding ways to implement the agreements on Idlib,” Lavrov said.

The Russian chancellor stressed that the agreements between the parties do not mean the end of “an intransigent fight against terrorist groups,” although Lavrov has stated that Turkey has not fulfilled fundamental commitments to resolve the tension in Idlib.

In this sense, Russia denounced on this day that Turkey sent 70 tanks, 200 armored cars and 80 guns to Idlib, destined, fundamentally, to supply the terrorist group Al-Nusra Front.

Likewise, the Russian chancellor informed that the next meetings will take place in the next week, while Cavusoglu pointed out that it will be announced if there will be a meeting between the president of Russia, Vladimir Putin and his Turkish counterpart, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Lavrov said that there are “very good relations” with Turkey without this meaning that the parties agree on everything.

For his part the Turkish Foreign Minister stressed that “we must not allow the Syrian problem to weaken our cooperation and our relations”.

Continue Reading

News in Turkey

Turkey reports that 76,000 migrants crossed into Europe

Published

on

However, the figure was very different from the statistics provided by Greece and independent observers who claimed that there were 13,000 migrants along the border.

More than 76,000 migrants crossed from Turkey into the European Union after the Turkish government allowed them to cross at Edirne, on the border with Bulgaria and Greece, revealed Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu.

“By 09H55 the number of migrants who left our country through Edirne reached 76,358,” Soylu posted on his Twitter account.

The new figure means that more than 29,000 people have crossed the border since 11:50pm on Saturday.

Turkish television stations have been showing since early morning how groups of refugees are travelling by bus to Edirne, the province on Turkey’s border with Greece and Bulgaria.

However, the figure differs greatly from the statistics provided by Greece and independent observers such as the International Organization for Migration (IOM), which says that there are 13,000 migrants along the border.

Around half a thousand people arrived on the islands of the eastern Aegean this Sunday, showing an increase in arrivals by sea off the Greek coast since Turkey announced last Friday that it could no longer hold refugees.

On Lesbos, one of the islands that has seen the largest number of asylum seekers in years, groups of residents this morning blocked the buses carrying the newly arrived migrants to the camp in Moria.

According to local media, groups of islanders are blocking all roads leading to the notorious refugee camp.

Greece has prevented the entry of nearly 10,000 migrants from Turkey in the past 24 hours, government sources said.

From 06:00 (04:00 GMT) on Saturday until the same time on Sunday, “9,972 entries were prevented in the Evros region,” according to a press release from the Kastanian border post in northeastern Greece.

At 2am on Sunday (00am GMT), the police and army prevented “an organized attempt by migrants to cross the border en masse”, the statement said.

According to Greek Deputy Defense Minister Alkibiadis Stefanis, some 9,972 attempts at illegal entry were prevented on Saturday night.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan linked yesterday’s decision to facilitate the passage of refugees to Greece to the lack of support from the European Union to Turkey against the regime of Damascus in Syria, after the escalation of violence between the two armies in the province of Idlib.

With his decision to open the border with Europe, President Erdogan was carrying out an old threat of allowing refugees to enter the continent.

Turkey’s decision to open its borders with Europe coincides with a military escalation in northwest Syria that has led to increasing direct confrontations between Turkish and Syrian forces.

The European Borders and Coasts Agency (Frontex) has announced the reinforcement of its personnel and equipment in Greece, in view of the situation created on the borders with Turkey and the constant increase in refugees trying to reach European territory.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2019 Celaloz Turk | Created with the assistance of Coding Elite (thanks also to Mark at Pique Tea Crystals for his consultation on Wordpress).